Monday, October 3, 2011

Bubble Gum, Please

Thanks to everyone who kept Grant in your thoughts and prayers! He did amazing and Tim and I were at such peace with everything. I honestly don’t think it could have gone any better. I have been amazed at the care and detail that nurses and physicians take when dealing with Grant (and other children).

Grant’s mood on Friday morning before we left the house was incredibly cheery and I was so sad thinking that it would all go quickly downhill when we got to the hospital. Wow…I was wrong! He marched down the halls holding our hands to the outpatient center like it was just another stroll in the neighborhood. As soon as the nurse finished taking his vitals, which he breezed right through, he was laying on the floor playing with his trains. After we got him into his hospital PJs I thought for sure he’d be getting anxious. Wrong again! It was about to get even better!

Another nurse, who’s title was Childlife Specialist, appeared with two different masks that they would use to administer the gas to put Grant to sleep. One strawberry flavored and the other bubble gum. Grant went straight for the bubble gum and spent a few minutes studying and playing with it. Now it was time to head down to the OR. Still no signs of anxiety from our little man. Probably because waiting outside in the hallway was a Jeep Power Wheels just waiting for Grant. How cool!? So, instead of riding down to the OR on a stretcher, Grant climbed right in and drove himself (with a smile on his face) down the hall. Best. Hospital Experience. EVER!

The actual surgery took about an hour and when they wheeled him back into the room we were stunned. Tim was in tears and I was smiling ear to ear. It looks better than we could have ever expected!
I think we’re both so excited to envision our precious son getting closer and closer to living with a full head of hair and no more reason for people to stare and point. Grant was pretty out of it, but eventually woke up in his pleasant mood (STILL!) asking for a drink and wanting to get the IV out as fast as they would let him. They discharged him fairly quickly and we were headed home!!

I thought for sure he’d be laying around all day, but as soon as he had some lunch and caught up on his lack of milk all morning, he was ready to go. No pain meds, no complaining, no whining, just our sweet, happy Grant. The only tears that managed to run down his face all day came when my mom and I were trying to get some Tylenol in him before bed. After that traumatizing episode, we decided it’d be the last time we gave him that! (We thought it might help him sleep…ha ha…not even narcotics can make my child sleep!!!) He hasn’t complained about pain a single time…I am completely amazed by his resiliency and he continues to go on with things as if nothing ever happened. Just love my boy!

Thanks again for your prayers! Tim and I give the glory to God for watching over our precious son!





No comments:

Post a Comment