Friday, September 23, 2011

3 Months and a Traveling Pump

Our Sammy is 3 months already and growing like a big, fat weed lately! He's following suit of his older brother and sister and topping the charts for height and being off the charts for weight. We make 'em big around here! He's on the verge of rolling his chunky tummy over and is smiling up a storm. Sam is by far our easiest child, but I'm certain 90% of that is our much more relaxed state of mind when it comes to a third child.

I had to be in Chicago for three days for work this week and it's truly incredible all of the logistics you have to work out for three children! But, luckily Sam survived his first long stint of mommy being away. The rest of our child care village managed through it too. A big thank you to our parents who have been AMAZING!

I have to tell you, breastfeeding and traveling for work can be a small challenge...while I was away I obviously had to pump around the clock. It makes for some interesting conversations with my male counterparts as to where I disappear to every 2 or 3 hours and why I'm carrying a huge cooler into the hotel. No, there are no wild parties happening in my room! Ha ha! I'm pretty much in terrible pain about a day and half into it...no pump can do the job my babies can. I was SO happy to see Sam when I got home and have nursed him pretty much every time he makes a peep to get me back to normal.

This could be a post all in itself, but it's worth giving you a quick tidbit on the fun and humor of pumping/breastfeeding. So, I've pumped all over the place hundreds and hundreds of times by now...various gas station, restaurant, and grocery store parking lots, in the valet line at the MGM Grand in Detroit, banquet halls during wedding receptions, and the list goes on. I even had someone walk up to my car, knock on the window, and ask for directions while I was pumping in Shapiro's parking lot. Oh, was he embarrassed!! But, I think this week topped it all - the pump took a trip with me to Wrigley Field! I locked myself in a small bathroom and "hooked 'em up" as my favorite co-worker calls it. I have been extremely fortunate with a fantastic supply and three cooperative children and despite all the work it requires, I've learned to have a sense of humor in it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment