Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sam's Grand Entrance

I can't even begin to describe how my heart is just overflowing with love for our new family of five. It's hard to put into words how incredible the past week has been...a week where we've witnessed a God given gift being placed into our anxiously awaiting arms, our love for all three of our children taken to an entirely different level, and a week where we've experienced tremendous love and support from our friends and family. Blessed beyond belief...

Sam's arrival was also an event that Tim and I will not soon forget! My recollection of the timeline is a little fuzzy and I think you'll see why as you read along. This might get a little long...

My due date was officially June 8th and on the day of my 40 week appointment we scheduled an induction for June 15th. My mom made it in to town late in the afternoon on the 14th to be there with the kids when we left the next morning. Tim went on his way to football practice and I jokingly told him to keep his phone close not thinking anything would happen! Shortly after my mom got here my very dear friend Liz, who's a labor and delivery nurse, dropped over to strip my membranes to see if it might encourage Baby K to get a move on it. Weird for some to think about, I know, but modesty is nearly gone at almost 41weeks pregnant! She went overdue with her son and it worked for her...I was hoping for similar results!!

An hour after she left, I started having crazy back pain and felt a TON of pressure. Hmmmm...maybe this was working!? Contractions came on around 6:30, but were all over the place - 10 mins, 8 mins, 9 mins, 6 mins, back to 10 mins, etc. Still not convinced it was anything my mom and I went on playing with the kids, had dinner, moved the car seats to her car...you know - the not sitting still stuff that I do :)

At 7:30, I got worried. Should I have left already to get to the hospital? Do I need to call Tim? Am I just imagining I might be in labor?! Are we going to deliver this child on the side of 465??? I called Liz. After she calmed me down and finally helped me convince myself I was in labor I gave Tim the word to get home. I called the after hours number for my OB's office and was told I'd get a call back in 30 mins...ha ha...this mama was NOT waiting for that call to leave. Tim rushed in the house, got his things, and we were off!

I'll try and speed this up...got to triage around 8:30, I was at 5cm, got my IV and gown, and made it to our room around 9:15. We were about to do this!!!! I was doing fine with the contractions and was SO excited this baby might make it before Lilly's birthday. We walked the halls for a while and then labored back in our room after the pain in my back became almost unbearable. Then it hit me...I'm having back labor...the dreaded back labor our Bradley coach talks about in her videos...the back labor I've heard horror stories about...the back labor that women can't get through without pain meds. This was NOT happening! Baby K was facing the wrong direction and the back of his head was putting a tremendous amount of pressure on my back...a feeling that is more intense than any contraction I've ever felt. When they checked my cervix around 10pm I was at 6cm. I immediately thought that I couldn't do it...not if I was going to have back labor...no way.

Here's where Tim comes in. He is amazing 24/7, but a whole new form of amazing when I really, really need him. And this was a time when I truly could not have done it without him. I labored through the next 2 1/2 hours in another world. I really don't remember much, but I know Tim was doing everything he could...applying counter pressure to my back, getting me cold washcloths, and whispering encouraging words to me. He is truly my rock.

The OB appeared out of no where - I was SO happy to see her. She is amazing at what she does. She checked my cervix and I was at 9cm. Relief in sight!! She finally broke my water and things changed very quickly. Here we go! The NICU team was called because Sam had passed his meconium, but we weren't too worried - we had been through the same with Grant.

I felt the undeniable urge to push finally, which I never felt with Grant (epidural) or Lilly (pretty much came out with very little help from me!) so it really caught me off guard. Through three contractions and a little screaming later, I heard the magical words "it's a BOY!!". There he was. My Sam. On my chest. Just magical. The first photo we have of him truly capture my emotions at that moment better than I could ever put into words. Exhaustion, accomplishment, tears of joy, gratefulness, and excitement to finally meet this little one. Nothing like those first moments...nothing. I am in heaven...


Before things got intense!


Truly one of the most incredible things you can experience!


A short trip to the NICU for rapid breathing, but out a couple hours later, thank God!



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful birth story!!! Thanks for sharing. Watching everyone around me having kids is really going to help when it's my turn.

    P.S. Sam is adorable!!! Just like the other two!!!

    ReplyDelete